The silica gel bags we often find in shoe boxes usually end up in the trash, just because we believe they’re completely useless and even toxic.
However, the truth is that there is no poison in them whatsoever. They are filled with a substance called silicon dioxide which shouldn’t be eaten but it can be very useful around the house. They’re a non-toxic inert desiccant that will dry out anything around them. Here is how you can use them:
- Put them in your gym bag: The main purpose of these bags is to absorb extra moisture and protect the shoes. Bacteria mainly thrive in moist and damp environments, so they can help you eliminate germs and dampness from your gym bag. They can likewise eliminate the foul odor.
- Put them between towels: Putting couple of silica gel bags in the towel cabinet will prevent the towels from getting damp and smelling unpleasantly.
- Make your razors last longer: Instead of leaving your razor around in the bath where it is always wet, put it in a plastic container with a few silica bags inside. It will make it last longer.
- Save your drowned phone: When your phone drops in water and gets all wet rather putting it in a jar of rice try the same with silica bags. Fill a jar with them and put your mobile in, it will be much more effective.
- No more foggy car windows: Silica bags are a true lifesaver in the winter months. So, instead of waiting for the air conditioning to do its job, simply place couple of silica gel bags under the windshield from the inside immediately. The windows will no longer be foggy and you will see it the very next day. It is the fastest way to prevent foggy car windows and you will save yourself the 10 minutes needed to clean them up.
- Save your old photos: Old photos tend to deteriorate. This is really sad, as photos are the sole reminders of our past. Just put a few silica gel bags in the box of old photos in order to save them from dampness that can ruin them.
- Save your make up: Every woman is recommended to have a bag of silica gel in her makeup purse, in order to stop the powdery make up from curdling.There you have it, 7 fun and useful tips which can make your life easier. Next time you purchase something with silica gel bags in it do not throw them away, they can be very useful.