British and Italian researchers claim that eating one banana in the morning, afternoon, and evening, supplies your body with sufficient potassium amounts and thus, lowers the risk of blood clots in the brain by 21%.
Namely, a 2011 report published in the Journal of the American College of Cardiology indicated that stroke can be prevented or the chances for it can be reduced thanks to the potassium present in certain foods like fish, lentils, and spinach.
Furthermore, scientists found out that daily intake of 1600 mg of potassium helps decrease the chances for stroke. One average-sized banana contains 500 mg of potassium; so, three per day will successfully decrease high blood pressure and maintain proper brain and nerve function.
Other benefits of bananas
Besides potassium, bananas are rich in vitamin B6, manganese, biotin, dietary fiber, and vitamin C, which regulate the function of the digestive system. One banana contains 108 calories and little cholesterol, fat, or sodium, which are known to cause weight gain. Bananas are a highly recommendable snack for athletes who are always in a need of an additional energy boost. This is because bananas are low in glycemic carbohydrates.
- Lowers depression– they’re rich in tryptophan, a protein which the body converts into serotonin- a compound that improves the overall mood.
- Regulates blood pressure-thanks to the potassium in bananas, you will be able to regulate your heart function and the body’s fluid balance, which lowers the risk of strokes and high blood pressure.
- Treats constipation-one banana has over 3 grams of fiber; so, if you struggle with constipation, consume bananas on a daily basis to improve your bowel function. This is a far better, healthier, and more natural alternative to laxatives.
- Hangover cure-banana smoothies sweetened with some honey are excellent for treating hangovers. What’s more, they soothe the stomach’s lining, whereas honey will restore the blood sugar levels.
- Improves bone mass-according to research, the potassium in bananas prevents the decay of bones.
- Stops stress-potassium is excellent in regulating one’s heartbeat. When a person feels stressed, their metabolic rate increases whereas the potassium levels drop.
- Smoking-bananas are rich in vitamin B12 and B6, along with magnesium and potassium, which help the body recover from the effects of nicotine withdrawal.
- PMS-as bananas are rich in vitamin B6, they will normalize the body’s glucose levels and improve your mood.
- Anemia-bananas, being rich in iron, encourage the production of hemoglobin.