Dr. Effrossyni Gkrania-Klotsas examined the head of a man who had a tapeworm inside. Namely, the man began feeling frequent headaches and seizures. When he was examined in the Addenbrookes Hospital in Cambridge, he was diagnosed with an infection known as sparganosis-a parasitic infection caused by the tapeworm larvae plerocercoid diphyllobothroid. Unfortunately, he had to undergo a surgical procedure.
In general, there are three types of worms that can infest the brain and they usually enter the body through consumption of undercooked pork meat. Also, you can also get infected if you’re in direct contact with animals that have this parasite. The infection they cause can cause epilepsy and it’s known as neurocysticercosis.
It’s very common in Latin America, Africa, and China; however, since pork is distributed throughout the world, no one is safe. There are certain drugs which can cure the infection, but surgery is a more promising treatment.