Ginger holds a special place in almost every culture, and its roots are mostly utilized in culinary purposes. It is broadly used as an herbal mixture and as a home remedy too. This article will give you information how to grow an endless supply of ginger indoors.
First of all, you need to purchase ginger from garden centers or seed catalogue. Soak the ginger in water during the night in order to eliminate the pesticides.
You should take into consideration the following tips when you choose your ginger root:
- You need to get plump ginger root with tight skin.
- Avoid withered and old root.
- Get a root with several sprouts.
Additionally, you can choose for wide and shallow pots, as this plant grows horizontally. Cut each sprout off and replant them in another pot.
- Soak the ginger in lukewarm water and leave it overnight to get rid of any toxins.
- Get a rich Drainable soil.
- Position the root in soil with its eye bud pointed up, and cover it with 1-2 inches of soil and then water it well.
- Put the pot on warm and shady place.
- Use a spray bottle to keep the soil well moisturized.
- The first sprouts should appear out within few weeks. Keep watering and moisturizing the plant on a regular basis.
The first roots of ginger can be collected within 3-4 months. You will be able to see some roots underneath by pulling the soil at the edges aside. Cut off the sprouts and put the soil back. If you continue to take care of it, the plant will not stop producing ginger. Uproot the whole plant and plant more rhizomes for a larger harvest.