Cough and cold are minor ailments, but they are rather irritating and annoying. Coughing makes us unable to concentrate and a nuisance for the people around us. Though bearable during the day, it’s a completely different experience at night, keeping us up after a long day at work. And so, many people end up relying on cough syrup to get relief. But does it really help?
The majority of cough syrups only suppresses the transmission of signals to the brain that triggers coughing. The two major ingredients codeine and dextromethorphan help you sleep, and cause certain unwanted effects such as drowsiness, headaches, and rapid heart activities.
What Are Honey Wraps?
Interestingly, there is a relatively common ingredient that can not only help with a cough, but has other medicinal properties as well. That ingredient is honey! It will also help dislodge the mucus from the lungs. This treatment can be used for children as well as adults.
- Olive Oil
- Band-Aid adhesive tape
- Mix the flour with a small amount of honey, so you will get a mixture for the compress, which should not stick to your hands.
- Add a little olive oil and then roll it in some flour again.
- Place the mixture on a napkin, and wrap in cheesecloth.
- Attach it to the chest or back, using the plaster adhesive tape, and after that put on pajamas.
- In the case of children, stick the wraps on them for about 2-3 hours before going to sleep.
Adults should keep the wraps on all night and protect their sheets as they will be sweating a lot. There are absolutely no side effects, but will children make sure that the wraps don’t cause skin injury.